1. Haim ”â Three sisters from California comprise Haim (it rhymes with Time and not with aim). They were one of the buzz bands from this years SXSW festival and even though I was there, I managed to miss them! Download their Forever EP for free:
2. Hospitality ”â I did manage to see the Brooklyn indie pop outfit in Texas and watched them play a packed out set. I fell in love with single Betty Wang a month or so back and I can’t wait for them to head over for UK live dates..
3. Zoo Zero ”â A London based avant-rock group, Zoo Zero leapt into my ears with the release of their debut 7 inch, Green Apples. It’s a stomper and I’m looking forward to hearing much more from these guys..
4. Peace ”â This Birmingham crew have recently toured with Mystery Jets and offer a classic uplifting guitar band sound that’s bang in the mainstream and right up my street. Bags of potential..
5. Pins ”â The sexiest video and girl band to come out of Manchester in years. FACT. The four piece recently launched their debut single ”Ëeleventh hour’ at the eleventh hour.. and it spread across the blogosphere like Wildfire. Hitting the airwaves on Amazing Radio within a day, Xfm within 4 days and Radio 1 within 5. That’s how to do it.
6. The Cast Of Cheers ”â Probably the best band name ever. That aside, the Dubliners brand of energetic Math pop is uplifting and hints to infectious live show. Touring throughout may and new record ”ËFamily’ hits the shelves soon..
7. Polica – Another band I finally got to see live in Austin, and boy were they worth the wait. Gayngs leader Ryan Olsen enjoyed working with singer Channy Leaneagh so much that they started a new project with startling and intense results.
8. I Ching ”â It is doubly exciting to see the launch of a brand new record label (In this case Best Fit Recordings) alongside a band that were not on my radar previously. The London based band excel in a marriage of electronic and undulating guitar sounds, with a side of Foals about them.
9. Seye ”â When I called Seye (pronounced Cher) a cheeky scamp, his brother, Metronomy bass player Gbenga said he’s also a “cheeky bugger” and “last scion”! Musicalal talent and vibes clearly run in the family and Seye has been out on the road touring in support of Emile Sande of late, you need to hear the experimental tones of White Noise immediately..
10. Born Blonde ”â Theres nothing like a rousing chorus to get you in gig mode and step you back into Britpop territory. I can personally confirm that growing up in that era wasn’t such a bad place to be and that despite trends coming and going, good guitar music never goes out of fashion.
Radio Presenter and New Music Affectionado
Amazing Radio, INRIX, Bolton FM & WXLV
**Shows broadcasting Friday 1pm on Amazing Radio tune in via DAB, online on www.amazingradio.co.uk or via iPhone / android app **
** Airing at 12am ET Wednesday and 8pm ET Saturday on 90.3 WXLV Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, US or tune in online on www.wxlvradio.com **
**Airing at 9pm Sunday on 96.5 Bolton Fm or tune in online on www.boltonfm.com or by iPhone app
I write too: Vinyl District and Louder Than War