Doom as a genre is in rude health at the moment, a fact that the number of astonishing tours and releases by artists practising said grim art will testify too. Two Autumn releases we’re particularly looking forward to are by Pallbearer (above, left) and Yob (above, right) whose new albums drop in August and September respectively. The two bands have also just announced that they’ll be storming over to these shores for what can only be described as a joint UK / EU tour from the very bowels of Hell in Autumn time too in support of said releases. Check out the rest of this post for full details.
Taking things chronologically, Pallbearer’s new album, Foundations Of Burden is to be released on Profound Lore in August. The album is the followup to 2012s monumental release, Sorrow & Extinction, which garnered widespread praise from the likes of Pitchfork, SPIN, Rolling Stone and countless others. On this new album, we’re told:
“Pallbearer have created an album much more advanced, moving, and sonically glorious than their debut, continuing the band’s ascent from the doom metal scene into the mainstream music world.”
The album was recorded in Portland, OR with legendary producer / engineer Billy Anderson (Neurosis, Melvins, Sleep, Swans) and is six tracks long.
“This new album delves even deeper into Pallbearer’s melodic contexts, which adds a new and compelling dimension to music which has long since proven itself to be inexorably captivating; if Sorrow and Extinction created massive waves in the metal scene, Foundations Of Burden will create the stuff of legends.”
The track list can be found below, cover art to the right and up a bit and behold, here’s a sample track off the album:
Also two years after their last release, Atma, Yob will be releasing Clearing The Path To Ascend in September on Neurot Recordings. The album is four tracks long and we’re promised that it finds YOB on formidable form, one which suggests people will be anointing this release as the crowning glory on the band’s two decade long existence.
We’re promised an album which will blow minds in a way they’ve never been blown before with an exploration of territory at once familiar and yet new at the same time…
“With Clearing The Path To Ascend, YOB explores a thunderous dimension that’s familiar in its auditory clout but completely new in the execution of its trajectory, taking the band’s sound into a remarkable place as ethereally compelling in its aesthetic, as it is merciless in the magnitude of its sound.”
No sneak musical previews on this one as it’s only four tracks long – but we don’t really need them to know this is going to be killer really do we? Oh, and fyi, we have got this teaser video:
The two bands, in a move that makes perfect sense, have an extensive tour of the EU together lined up too. The tour will mark Pallbearer’s first European tour so we should all go out and make it one to remember for them eh? UK dates in bold along with links to buy tickets.
- Wednesday, September 03, 2014 NL Utrecht – Tivoli de helling.
- Thursday, September 04, 2014 UK Bristol – The Fleece.
- Friday, September 05, 2014 UK Manchester – Roadhouse.
- Saturday 6 September 14 UK Glasgow – Audio.
- Sunday, September 07, 2014 UK Leeds – Brudenell Social Club.
- Monday, September 08, 2014 UK London – The Underworld.
- Wednesday, September 10, 2014 DE Dortmund – FZW.
- Thursday, September 11, 2014 NL Groningen – Vera.
- Friday, September 12, 2014 DK Aarhus – Atlas.
- Saturday, September 13, 2014 SE Gothenburg – Truckstop Alaska.
- Sunday, September 14, 2014 NO Oslo – Hostsabbat @ Betong.
- Tuesday, September 16, 2014 FI Helsinki – Tavastia.
- Wednesday, September 17, 2014 SE Stockholm – Slakthuset.
- Thursday, September 18, 2014 DK Copenhagen – Loppen.
- Friday, September 19, 2014 DE Leipzig – UT Connewitz.
- Saturday, September 20, 2014 PL Wroclaw – Firlej.
- Sunday, September 21, 2014 DE Berlin – Bi Nuu.
- Tuesday, September 23, 2014 CZ Prague – Klub 007.
- Wednesday, September 24, 2014 AT Vienna – Arena.
- Thursday, September 25, 2014 AT Innsbruck – PMK.
- Friday, September 26, 2014 CH Winterthur – Gaswerk.
- Monday, September 29, 2014 CH Lausanne – Le Romandie.
- Thursday, October 02, 2014 ES Barcelona – Razzmatazz3.
- Friday, October 03, 2014 ES Madrid – Villamanuela.
- Saturday, October 04, 2014 PT Porto – Amplifest.
- Sunday, October 05, 2014 ES Erandio – Sonora.
- Friday, October 10, 2014 GR Athens – Kyttaro Club.
- Saturday, October 11, 2014 BE Antwerp – Desertfest.
Finally, here’s those track lists:
Pallbreaker – Foundations Of Burden:
- 1. Worlds Apart
- 2. Foundations
- 3. Watcher In The Dark
- 4. The Ghost I Used To Be
- 5. Ashes
- 6. Vanished
YOB – Clearing The Path To Ascend:
- In Our Blood
- Nothing To Win
- Unmask The Spectre