A couple of weeks ago we ran a gushing review of legendary Scottish rockers GUN’s Barrowland gig, written by one Harry Mulligan. The show was being recorded on the night and we’ve been given a stream of them playing the title track off their new album, which just so happens to be the new single too (release date 8th June), Frantic, above…
When GUN came home to the Glasgow’s Barrowland, a two minute walk from where Dante and Jools Gizzi Ma’s house was in Glasgow’s Carlton district of the East End, the denizens therein were anticipating their arrival. They hadn’t exactly left in a Skoda, but it was a Masarati Granturismo that they pulled in up by the Barras on Saturday, March 28th, 2015; sleek, feline and a bit menacing– like a cat.
It was their new album, ‘Frantic’ that they were test driving in reality and the Gig was a Balls-to-the-Wall-Stormer. However, don’t take my anecdotal evidence as Gospel. Here’s the prima facie evidence as documented on the night.
Here’s how the band explain how the new single – a firm favourite with fans and critics alike… came about…
“Frantic was inspired by a meeting of artistic minds at SXSW Festival 1992, when Dante made the acquaintance of a highly renowned Hollywood actress/singer. Despite her turning up to one of GUN’s shows and spending the night with him talking about their hopes, dreams and aspirations, the couple crucially failed to stay in touch providing the album’s universal “what if” theme.”
Enjoy all you Rockers!
See GUN in 2015:
- Fri 22nd May Bearded Theory Festival
- Fri 29th May The Islington, London
- Sat 30th May Camden Rocks Festival
- Tue 29th Sep Birmingham, Temple
- Wed 30th Sep Norwich, Waterfront Studio
- Sat 3rd Oct Sheffield, Corporation
- Sun 4th Oct Leicester, Academy 2
- Mon 5th Oct Liverpool, Arts Club
- Wed 7th Oct Dublin, Academy 2
- Thu 8th Oct Belfast, Limelight
- Tue 13th Oct York, Duchess
- Wed 14th Oct Bristol, The Fleece
- Thu 15th Oct Plymouth, The Junction
- Fri 16th Oct Southampton, Talking Heads
Also check out Harry’s interview with Dante Gizzi here.
Gun’s new album, Frantic can be bought here: umusicdirect.com/gun.