The brilliant TUSK Festival returns for its fifth iteration, taking place at Gateshead Old Town Hall for three days in October.
The bill’s as eclectic and challenging as you’d expect, with plenty for gourmets of esoteric sonics to get their heads round.
Among the delights on offer this time are:
- Awesome slabs of rhythm ‘n’ drone from Manchester’s DEMDIKE STARE.
- Full on eardrum buzz from Michigan tape-noise maven AARON DILLOWAY.
- Bracing afro-rock from Burkina Faso, in the shape of BABA COMMANDMENT AND THE MANDINGO BAND.
- Fantastic spectral weirdness from London-based US songwriter ASHLEY PAUL.
- Deep space explorations with free jazz legends Henry Grimes and Marshall Allen, teaming up in the MAGIC SCIENCE QUARTET
- Sublime, synapse frazzling Egyptian electronica from MAURICE LOUCA.
There are loads more, as well as the usual array of films, talks and other stuff, making for a cracking weekend at one of the most genuinely warm, intimate and well-programmed urban festivals in the UK.
Louder Than War attended TUSK’s one-day mini festival last year and loved it (check out our review here), so we’re pretty certain that this three days of unclassifiable international sounds will be an essential date for your diaries.
Details and key information
- Date: Friday 9th – Sunday 11th October 2015
- Location: Gateshead Old Town Hall, West St, Gateshead, NE8 1HE
- Cost: Full weekend passes are £55. Individual day tickets are £20 – they’re not on sale yet but will be soon.
- Ticket links: tuskfestival.com/buy-tickets or sagegateshead.com/event/tusk-festival.