Glastonbury is a lot of bands.
An avalanche of bands.
Everyone has their own list, their own journey – this is ours.
When LTW boss John Robb is not on compere duty on the left field stage (drop by and say hello) he will be trying to watch the following…(and about another 50 things in-between…)
1. Temples- Friday- John Peel stage – It’s the year of psych and Temples are the cutting edge of the cutting edge.
2. Drenge – Friday – John Peel stage – there’s a lot of noisy two piece action and Drenge are our faves
3. MIA Friday West Holts stage – charismatic MIA with her brash 21st century pop that mashes the street beats of crackling modern culture.
4. Tinariwen – Friday – Acoustic tent – desert blues but acoustic- this will be genius…
5. Seun Kuti and Egypt 80 – Saturday – West Holts Stage – afrobeat – wish there was a whole day of this.
6. Mogwai – Saturday – Park stage – the sound of independent Scotland!
7. Yoko Ono – Sunday – Park Stage – We have been in love with Yoko forever and she is great live.
8. The Brian Jonestown Massacre – Sunday – Park Stage – when the going gets messy! aaah genius.
9. Fat White Family Saturday – John Peel Stage – it’s their year and their scuzzed up blues is like the Birthday Party for the children of the E revolution.
10. Royal Blood – Saturday – John Peel Stage – another 2 piece! what happened to bass guitars!? – they make a great anthemic noise though.
11. Massive Attack – Sunday – Other stage – will be transendental
12. The Horrors – Sunday – Other Stage – the band that inspired all the best bands in the UK right now.
13. Kasabian – Sunday – Main Stage – new album is fab and they are at the top of their game and not afraid to be pop in a brash pink way and pile up the anthems.
14. The Black Keys – Sunday – Main Stage – stadium 2 piece!
15. Dolly Parton – Sunday – Main Stage – has to be done- classic Glastonbury – a real legend!
16. Warpaint – Saturday – Other Stage – ethereal and bewitching and awesome live – post punk for the festival age.
17. Manic Street Preachers – Saturday – Other stage – last time I saw them at Glastonbury they were young waifs, now they are veterans!
18. Jack White – Saturday – Main stage – great hats! great riffs!
19. Pixies – Saturday – Other Stage – greatest hits!
20. Anna Calvi – Saturday – Park stage – a voice that can fill a valley.
21. Nitin Sawhney – Saturday – Main stage – top start to the day with a boundary busting mix up.
22. Band Of Skulls – Friday – Main stage – hypnotic.
23. Blondie – Friday -Main stage – star power!