10 more new bands for you to check out from our favourite nw band DJ Shell Zenner
1. Channel Cairo ”â A London five piece named after the time lead singer Josh was kidnapped in Cairo. I’ve been impressed with their fresh and uplifting piano driven sound on single ”ËA year’..
2. G R E A T W A V E S ”â I know I live in the North West and can be a bit Manchester centric, but you’ll have to excuse my excitement, but I’ve lived here for nearly a decade and I’ve never scene the music scene here as diverse and exciting, G R E A T W A V E S are one of the bands making it so. With dark brooding vocals whilst being backed with a stunning electronic accompaniment. The new double a side is awe inspiring..
3. Bluebell ”â I got to meet Bluebell in Brighton after I met them djing at Blog Up and having already aired single ”ËNormal Heights’ on the show, I was well chuffed to say hello. A duo of Annabel and Charlie they offer melodic electronica, driving drum beats layered with Annabels gorgeous vocals..
4. Hey Sholay ”â I finally got to see these guys live in Brighton after falling hook, line and sinker for single ”Ë Wishbone’, they played a one-in-one-out gig at the Artrocker stage. The Sheffield upstarts are bouncy, bright and have no heirs or graces. Just good honest feelgood indie, I’m expecting them to go a long way..
5. Little Victories ”â A band I’ve still to experience live, but will be rectifying as soon as I get the chance. Again channeling the trend du jour electronica and beats, termed by another as ”Ëprogressive ambient dance’ it’s a prime sound for summer..
6. Pale Seas ”â Simple classic pop songs never truly go out of fashion do they? Pale Seas are a five piece from Southampton, but are now based in London who truly have their own brand of pretty, melodic and gentle pop, feeling at a low ebb? This will snap you out of it in seconds..
7. Novella – Forget the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud, the musically credible girl band is back, the likes of Pins, Savages, September Girls and Novella are literally doing it for themselves. I got to catch Novella at Live At Leeds and I dig their groove, termed dream pop by others, it’s the retro infused guitar driven side that satiates my soul.
8. Savages ”â As already mentioned Savages are an all girl group, but there haven’t been a girl group this devastatingly dark and intense for years. Channelling a raw post punk edge, the b side ”Ëhusbands’ to their debut single, has had 37,000 hits on soundcloud in just 4 days which is astonishing in itself. Having seen them twice live, I can confirm they live upto the hype live too..
More electro pop vibes reverberate but in an ethereal shoegazey manner, if you dig Still Corners you’re going to love Keep Shelly In Athens, who have the intensity to keep me enthralled.
10. Sansa ”â This year is the year of the female solo artist and Sansa is one of a new breed breaking through alongside Lianne Le Havas, Emile Sande, Ren Harvieu and Jessie Ware. Sansa who’s originally from Finland has a sultry and haunting vocal on single ”Ëwaiting for the sky’ and can work a plethora of musical genres from folk, pop, electronica even to disco..