The Dead Albatross Prize – formerly known as a Mercury Music Prize alternative – has just announced its shortlist – and a mighty fine collection of albums it is too. Check them out below, where you’ll also find a Mixcloud stream which offers to help you “meet the shortlist” properly – via music.
Tip: click on the image to the right to see it full size. (It’s the cover art of all twenty-five albums if you hadn’t already figured that out!)
“Twenty-five albums?” you say “But we thought the winner was traditionally chosen from just twenty albums. What on earth gives?” Good question. This year the regular prize is being supplemented with one for the best reissue | archive | compilation | retrospective album, so five of the albums fall into that category. As you’ll see below.
We recently ran a blog on Louder Than War about this year’s prize, please visit this link if you’d like more information.
Remember, these are the two requirements each album must make to be considered eligible for the prize…
- All the albums must be by UK / Eire-based artists.
- They must be full albums (in any format) released between 1st sep 2014 – 31st aug 2015.
Votes from the judging panel (which now numbers over 100) need to be in by Sunday 25th October, with the winner announced via a radio show on reelrebelsradio.com shortly thereafter.
So with no further ado…
- A Middle Sex – Soul Sways West [The Audacious Art Experiment]
- Annabel (Lee) – By The Sea (And Other Solitary Places) – [If Music/Ninja Tune]
- Laura Cannell – Beneath Swooping Talons – [Front & Follow]
- Cathode Ray Eyes – Eyes In The Melancholy Palm [Cardinal Fuzz]
- Crying Lion -The Golden Boat [Honest Jon’s Records]
- Cut Hands – Festival of the Dead [Blackest Ever Black]
- Defenders Of Style – The Death of Meaning [Self Release]
- Orlando Julius & The Heliocentrics – Jaiyede Afro [Strut]
- Liberez – All Tense Now Lax [Night School]
- Lost Wax – The Poacher [Chocolate Monk]
- LV & Josh Idehen – Islands [Keysound]
- Perfume Advert – +200 Gamma [Opal Tapes]
- Ramsom Badbonez – Silva Surfa [Boot]
- Roger Robinson -Dis Side Ah Town [Jahtari]
- Sarpanitum – Blessed By My Brothers [Willowtip]
- Sloath – Deep Mountain [Riot Season]
- The Fear Ratio – Refuge Of A Twisted Soul [Skam]
- The Mouse Outfit – Step Steadier [HHV.DE]
- Twisted – Utopia [Specialist Subject]
- Michael Valentine West – Code 17 Abstraction [Ana Ott]
Reissues | Archive | Compilations | Retrospectives…
- Bourbonese Qualk – Bourbonese Qualk 1983-1987 [Mannequin]
- Ginger Johnson & His African Messengers – African Party [Freestyle]
- Muslimgauze – Minaret Speaker [Staalplaat]
- Singers & Players – War of Words [On U-Sound]
- Various Artist – A New Life [Jazzman]
For more information about the prize hit up it’s website (which will in time have detailed information about each album) here: deadalbatross.com. And to keep up to date with DAP things, check it out on Facebook and /or twitter: as @funfairbonanza.
Oh – and if you’re interested in having a say on the outcome of the prize go here: deadalbatross.com/p/vote.html.
The mastermind of the prize, one Paul Ackroyd, has recorded a radio show titled “Dead Albatross 2015: Meet The Shortlist” which does pretty much what it says on the tin.