Last week we ran a piece about the new Swans album which announced that Pitchfork had been given a sneak preview of the cover art and also a stream of a track off the album, A Little God In My Hands. Swans have now made that track available to everyone as a free download. Grab it via the widget below.
A Little God In My Hands is the first track to be taken from Swans’ forthcoming album ‘To Be Kind’ released on Mute on 12 May / 13 May on Young God Records.
We’ve also received more details about the cover art which can be read here.
The album features several special guests: Little Annie, St. Vincent, Mute labelmate Cold Specks and Bill Rieflin, and the album was produced by Michael Gira, and recorded by John Congleton at Sonic Ranch, Texas.
To Be Kind’ will be released on triple vinyl, double CD, download and 3 disc deluxe Edition (including a live DVD).
Swans also have some UK dates lined up, beginning in Manchester on 22 May. These are the first UK dates since last year’s Mouth to Mouth festival, curated by Gira and the Green Man festival.
Swans infamous and powerful live show was described by Guardian as “a magnificent achievement”, by Clash as “perfectly orchestrated carnage” and by The Quietus as “a revelation” and it was on this recent 2012 / 2013 tour, Gira explains, that “a good portion of the material for this album was developed live”.
Support comes from Jenny Hval on all the May dates.
Full dates and ticket details below this track:
- 22 May – Manchester UK, Academy 2
- 23 May – Newcastle UK, Hoults Yard
- 24 May – Glasgow UK, The Arches
- 25 May – Aberdeen UK, The Lemon Tree
- 27 May – London UK, Brixton Electric
- 28 May – Bristol UK, Trinity Community Arts
- 29 May – Reading UK, Sub89
- 31 May – Birmingham UK, Supersonic Festival – Custard Factory
- 1 June – Leeds UK, Cockpit
- 2 June – Brighton UK, Concorde 2