As predicted in Louder Than War two weeks ago SWANS will be touring their new album…
Headline bullet points:
UK / US tour dates – May / June.
New album – ‘To Be Kind’ – out on 12 May.
March solo acoustic tour – Europe.
Swans announce details of a UK and US tour in May and June 2014, following the release of the new album ‘To Be Kind’ on Mute on 12 May 2014 / 13 May on Young God Records (North America).
The UK dates begin in Manchester on 22 May and include London’s Brixton Electric on 27 Mayplus a return to Birmingham’s Supersonic festival. Full details below.
Swans are Michael Gira, Norman Westberg, Christoph Hahn, Phil Puleo, Thor Harris and Christopher Pravdica and these are the first UK dates since last year’s Mouth to Mouth festival, curated by Gira and the Green Man festival.
Swans infamous and powerful live show was described by Guardian as “a magnificent achievement”, by Clash as “perfectly orchestrated carnage” and by The Quietus as “a revelation”and it was on this recent 2012/2013 tour, Gira explains, that “a good portion of the material for this album was developed live”.
The dates go on sale at 9am on Friday 14 February from seetickets.com/go/swans.
‘To Be Kind’ will feature several special guests: Little Annie, St. Vincent, labelmate Cold Specks and Bill Rieflin. The album was produced by Michael Gira, and recorded by John Congleton at Sonic Ranch, Texas. Further recordings and mixing were accomplished in Dallas, Texas.
Explaining the proposed formats, Gira has said, “It will be available as a triple vinyl album, a double CD, and a 2XCD Deluxe Edition that will include a live DVD. It will also be available digitally. In addition, I am thinking of releasing it as a USB “stick” / flashdrive (with special packaging), so that this ultimate, high quality version can be listened to from beginning to end, without interruption (the album is a little over 2 hours long).”
Swans, led by Michael Gira, formed in 1982 and, after disbanding in 1997, returned with the critically acclaimed albums ‘My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky’ (2010) and 2012’s’The Seer’. 2014’s new album ‘To Be Kind’ was part funded through sales of the double live CD ‘Not Here / Not Now’ via the band’s own site bit.ly/1igMi70.
Swans US / UK tour dates:
- 14 May – Washington DC, Black Cat Mainstage
- 15 May – Philadelphia PA, Union Transfer
- 17 May – Boston MA, Royale Nightclub
- 18 May – New York NY, Bowery Ballroom
- 19 May – Brooklyn NY, Music Hall of Williamsburg
- 22 May – Manchester UK, Academy 2
- 23 May – Newcastle UK, Hoults Yard
- 24 May – Glasgow UK, The Arches
- 25 May – Aberdeen UK, The Lemon Tree
- 27 May – London UK, Brixton Electric
- 28 May – Bristol UK, Trinity Community Arts
- 29 May – Reading UK, Sub89
- 31 May – Birmingham UK, Supersonic Festival – Custard Factory
- 1 June – Leeds UK, Cockpit
- 2 June – Brighton UK, Concorde 2
Support comes from Jenny Hval on all the May dates.
In March 2014 Michael Gira will embark on a solo acoustic tour through Europe (https://younggodrecords.com/live-shows)
Michael Gira solo European tour dates:
- 1 March – Lyon, FR – Les Abattoirs
- 4 March – Porto, PT – Passos Manuel
- 6 March – Madrid, ES – El Sol
- 7 March – San Sebastian, ES – Andia Kuxta
- 8 March – Barcelona, ES – Sala Apolo
- 10 March – Paris, FR – Église Saint-Merri Church
- 11 March – Amsterdam, NL – MC Theater
- 12 March – London, UK – Church of St John-at-Hackney
- 14 March – Copenhagen, DK – Hofteatret
- 15 March – Oslo, NO – Blå
- 16 March – Oslo, NO – Emanuel Vigeland Mausoleum Museum
- 18 March – Warsaw, PL – Pardon, To Tu
- 19 March – Warsaw, PL – Pardon, To Tu
- 21 March – St. Petersburg, RU – Dada
- 22 March – Moscow, RU – Teatr Club
- 24 March – Odessa, UA – Bernardazzi Wine Club
- 26 March – Bucharest, RO – Control Club
- 27 March – Bologna, IT – Locomotiv
- 28 March – Milan, IT – Bloom
- 29 March – Berlin, DE – Kantine, Berghain