The American and Canadian tour by Steve Ignorant and Goldblade has been put back to April because, like many bands, there was a problem getting visas sorted out in time. Both bands had difficulties which are becoming more and more commonplace these days. Goldblade’s problem was because their bank took 8 days to transfer money to America instead of the expected 1/2 days.
The visa situation for British bands trying play America is becoming unworkeable and moves are afoot to try and do something about it.
Yesterday in Parliament Kerry McCarthy MP asked a question on our behalf about the visa situation as reported in Hansard.
Kerry McCarthy (Bristol East) (Lab): Britain is rightly renowned for the creativity of its independent music sector, but musicians seeking to go and tour in the US face huge bureaucracy and costs when they try to get visas, whereas it is far easier for musicians from the US to come and tour here. May I urge the Minister to take action on this?
Mr Vaizey: It is the first time that that issue has been raised with me, and I would be delighted to sit down with the hon. Lady and discuss it further.
There is more action planned.
Steve Ignorant statement on visas
I’m really really gutted to have to let you all know that we have to reschedule our USA and Canadian gigs. There’s a delay with the issue of the visas we require to enter the USA. We hope it will all be sorted soon but we will NOT be able to make the scheduled gigs.
I would ask everyone to please hold onto your tickets and give us about a week to announce new dates. We will reschedule as soon as possible and tickets will be valid for the rescheduled dates, however, if you think ‘fuck it, I want my money back’, then do that and I will completely understand.
I know that loads of you have been planning to travel for these gigs and that rescheduling them will be a right kick in the bollocks for you. I’m really, really genuinely very sorry about this. Please understand that this situation is costing me and the band a load of emotional upset, it’s not the money, it’s the letting you lot down, the bands that we were going to play with, all the people that have worked so fucking hard to put this thing together and if we could have done anything to avoid it we would have. Honestly, with all my heart, there was nothing else we could do. PLEASE, if you could let other gig-goers know that it’s off for now through your emails and face books or whatever means you can please do so. I know these are only typed words and words aint enough but it’s all I can do. To say I feel a right xxxt would be an understatement. This is the worse thing I’ve ever had to do. We really appreciate your support and we will do these gigs one way or another. Here are the rescheduled dates that will be confirmed as soon as our visas are confirmed. Until the powers that be grant us entry there’s nothing more I can do at the moment. Again, I’m really so sorry about all this.
Everything is tbc pending visas but we are hoping they will get issued this week.
All tickets will be good for the rescheduled shows.
April 20 Brooklyn, NY @ Europa
April 21 Montreal, QC @ Club Soda – SOLD OUT
April 22 Toronto, ON @ Opera House
April 23 Chicago, IL @ TBA
April 26 Seattle, WA @ Neumo’s
April 27 San Francisco, CA @ Slim’s
April 29 Pomona, CA @ Fox Theater
April 30 Pomona, CA @ Glasshouse
May 3 Austin, TX @ Emo’s
May 6 Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
May 7 Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
May 8 New York, NY @ Santo’s – SOLD OUT