The Membranes “What Nature Gives… Nature Takes Away”
• The new album from The Membranes, and their first to feature a choir, adding a dark and thrilling epic edge to their songs.
• Follows the success of 2015’s critically acclaimed “Dark Matter/Dark Energy” (made following their return after 20 years), which was a 6music favourite and received positive reviews across the world.
• The album’s environmental theme was inspired by a conversation with fellow nature and post punk fan Chris Packham (who guests on the album), about the beauty and violence of nature and the transient nature of life and love.
• Sixteen epic, powerful and darkly romantic songs of powerful, epic post punk with several tracks featuring the BIMM Choir. Boasts adventures into krautrock, dark dub, off kilter rhythms, death disco, tribal , dark opera, neo-classical and apocalyptic bass driven noise.
• Featuring guests such as 84-year old folk singer legend Shirley Collins, the original punk icon Jordan and Kirk Brandon from Theatre Of Hate.
• This summer, Lush (the cosmetics company) will be releasing a Membranes perfume called ‘A Strange Perfume’ after the opening track of the album.
SIDE ONE: (SPRING)
1. A STRANGE PERFUME
2. WHAT NATURE GIVES … NATURE TAKES AWAY
3. A MURDER OF CROWS
4. THE CITY IS AN ANIMAL (NATURE IS ITS SLAVE)
5. THE 21ST CENTURY IS KILLING ME
SIDE TWO: (SUMMER)
3. DEEP IN THE FOREST WHERE
THE MEMORIES LINGER
4. BLACK IS THE COLOUR
5. A MURMURATION OF STARLINGS
ON BLACKPOOL PIER
SIDE THREE (AUTUMN)
1. MOTHER OCEAN/FATHER TIME
2. THE MAGICAL AND MYSTICAL
PROPERTIES OF FLOWERS
3. SNOW MONKEY
4. DEMON SEED/DEMON FLOWER
SIDE FOUR (WINTER)
1. THE GHOSTS OF WINTER STALK THIS LAND
2. WINTER (THE BEAUTY AND VIOLENCE OF NATURE)
4. PANDORA’S BOX