Whilst relaxing in the LTW ‘Green Room’ last week, my meanderings were disturbed by a shrill repetitive noise; having checked that JR wasn’t playing an ultra rare white label from some throat musicians I realised it was the fire alarm. Having safely exited I made my way to the muster point (hiccup!) and began to wonder; if there was a fire – which ten records would I save from destruction? Naturally this progressed to which ten records some of our favourite musicians would save? So, we asked a few…
Charlie Harper of The UK Subs came up with this list, and (brief) reasons – few surprises in there; what do you think?
1. The Clash ‘London Calling’ – If I were on a desert Island that would remind me of home.
2. The Ramones ‘Blitzkrieg Bop’ – Maybe the first punk rock song I heard and was inspired by.
3. The Ramones ‘Pet Semetary’ – My fave Ramones song.
4. Iggy & The Stooges ‘Search and Destroy’ – Iggy, pure sex & drugs and rock and roll overdrive.
5. MC5 ‘Kick Out The Jams’ – I love MC5, and they came and saw us in Tuson, Arizona.
6. Smokie Robinson ‘Being With You’ – Reminds me of Brighton and the sea.
7. Del Shannon ‘Runaway’ – Another one of my all time favourite’s.
8. Eddie & The Hotrods ‘Do Any Thing You Wanna Do’ – Great band and singer
9. Stevie Wonder (performed by Aretha Franklin) ‘Until You Come Back To Me’ – A song writer’s song
10. Judy Garland ‘Do I Love You’ (written by Cole Porter) – I absolutely adore her and love Cole Porter songs.
Charlie also added “Maybe I should have put in a Motorhead number as I do love them. I’d pick ‘The Ace Of Spades’ and Lemmy’s version of ‘Louie Louie”