RECON Festival – the Leeds and Bradford-based festival of pioneering music, art, film and performance – has announced its return for a third year with a mouth watering technology-focused line-up, full details about which can be found below.
Taking place over the 15 – 18 October 2015 across multiple venues including the Brudenell Social Club, Headrow House, Bradford Playhouse and University of Bradford, the first tranche of artists announced frankly speak for themselves being a stunning list of forward thinking and challenging boundary pushing artists.
The theme of this year’s edition celebrates artists who work playfully, creatively and sometimes naughtily with technology and they range from Warp records electronica- pioneers Plaid, to techno grime envelope-pusher Mumdance, to sound artist Luke Younger’s electronic music project Helm, to Spacemen 3 producer Richard Formby teaming up with psych quintet Hookworms for some modular synth worship, to an exhibition about utopian and dystopian visions of the tech-future by artist collective Black Dogs, and a day of ‘out-there sounds for all the family’ with legendary San Francisco street musician The Space Lady, Japanese artist / inventor Ichi and the aforementioned Hookworms playing a one-off kids gig and workshop.
Festival co-director Andy Abbott explains:
“We’re in our third year with Recon and whilst we’re concentrating on commissioning and developing new work and collaborations year-round we still like a party. We’re lucky in Leeds and Bradford to have so many quality acts willing to play, as well as new and exciting spaces available that add an extra level to the experience. Whether they’re collaborating with innovators or repurposing tools for things they were never intended, artists push the boundaries of how we relate to technology – often revealing a humanistic and soulful side to the purely functional. I think with the line-up this year we’ll experience a diverse range of approaches from musicians, artists, filmmakers doing just that.”
Events included in Festival Ticket…
- Oct 15th: ‘Notes from Technotopia’ exhibition launch @ Gallery II, University of Bradford, Bradford
- Oct 15th: Plaid + Galaxians + Golden Meat @ Brudenell Social Club, Leeds.
- Oct 16th: Mumdance + Helm + Wanda Group + DJ Souki Esterhazy @ Headrow House, Leeds.
- Oct 17th: Hookworms with Richard Formby + Container + Karen Gwyer + XAM + Game Program + Neil Campbell + Moon Gangs + More @ Headrow House, Leeds.
- Oct 18th: Out-There Sounds For All The Family Matinee Gig w/ The Space Lady + Hookworms (Kids Gig) + Ichi + Tomaga + Mia La Metta + Eric Boros + Survival Skills + Bongoleeros + More @ Bradford Playhouse, Bradford.
Lead-in and Satellite Events include…
- Saturday 26th September: Charles Hayward + Anta + The Hysterical Injury + Dean McPhee @ Burnel Rooms, Bradford Playhouse, Bradford
- Sunday 4th October: Xiu Xiu plays the music of Twin Peaks @ Howard Assembly Room, Leeds – SOLD OUT
- Saturday 10th October: Warm Digits + Nope @ Wharf Chambers Co- operative Club, Leeds
- Saturday 17th October: Iration Steppas Sound System + Exodus + Danman + Special Guests @ Wire, Leeds
- Oct 15th – Dec 10th: ‘Notes from Technotopia’ exhibition @ Gallery II, University of Bradford, Bradford