A showcase of the latest production work from On-U head honcho Adrian Sherwood, who comments: “The Pay It All Back series started 35 years ago! These compilations were designed to promote the world of On-U, a “payback” for the people who supported us and to encourage others to investigate the label’s work. The first volume retailed for the price of a 7” single at the time! Other volumes came with fat booklets or a ‘Pay It All Back’ tour in the case of Volume 3. After volume 6, the label (and me) was not in the best of shape, and it was some six years before the next label compilation Chainstore Massacre was released. I guess this was almost a Pay It All Back in all but name.
The label has been through many interesting and difficult times but we are still very much involved in what can loosely be called “the business”. There are sadly too few decent record shops left, so try and track down all the releases and forthcoming works through our recommended retail outlets (or On-U direct). As the previous volumes in the series have done, this compilation offers a selection of forthcoming, previously unreleased, unique versions, and tracks and artists I’m keen to promote. Enjoy.”
The long-awaited latest instalment in the legendary On-U sampler series that first emerged in 1984, Volume 7 is an 18 track showcase of new Adrian Sherwood productions and features previews of several forthcoming On-U releases, unique mixes, deep cuts, and unreleased tracks from Roots Manuva, Sherwood & Pinch, Lee “Scratch” Perry, Coldcut, Ghetto Priest, Gary Lucas (Captain Beefheart’s Magic Band), Mark Stewart, Horace Andy, Little Axe and more.
In the classic tradition of the series, the tracks are stitched together with a number of special pirate radio style segueways, making for a unique journey through the modern world of On-U Sound. Both vinyl and CD editions come with a fully illustrated and annotated On-U catalogue, a track exclusive to physical formats and a gorgeous, colour-printed kraft board sleeve.
01. Roots Manuva & Doug Wimbish – Spit Bits
02. Sherwood & Pinch (ft. Daddy Freddy & Dubiterian) – One Law For The Rich
03. Horace Andy – Mr Bassie (Play Rub A Dub)
04. Neyssatou & Likkle Mai – War
05. Lee “Scratch” Perry – African Starship
06. Denise Sherwood – Ghost Heart
07. Higher Authorities – Neptune Version*
08. Sherwood & Pinch ft. LSK – Fake Days
09. Congo Natty – UK All Stars In Dub
10. Mark Stewart – Favour
11. LSK and Adrian Sherwood – The Way Of The World
12. Gary Lucas with Arkell & Hargreaves – Toby’s Place
13. Nisennenmondai – A’ – Live in Dub (Edit)
14. African Head Charge – Flim
15. Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto – Fuego de Cumbia / Dub de Sangre Pura (Dub Mix)
16. Little Axe – Deep River (The Payback Mix)
17. Ghetto Priest ft. Junior Delgado & 2 Bad Card – Slave State
18. Coldcut ft. Roots Manuva – Beat Your Chest
*Unique to vinyl & CD editions
All tracks previously unreleased except 7, 9 and 15.
Pre Order PIAB7 here.
All words by Paul Scott-Bates. More of Paul’s writing on Louder Than War can be found at his author’s archive. Paul’s website is hiapop and you can follow him on Twitter as @hiapop, and on Facebook here.