Back towards the end of 2012 we reviewed Music For A Good Home 2, the second edition of a compilation album from which all proceeds raised go towards raising money for Shelter, the homeless person’s charity. It featured the best contemporary, cutting edge bands of the time – as does edition three which was just released a couple of weeks ago. Details below.
Oxford-based Audioscope have been raising money for Shelter since 2001 and purchasing this compilation is a brilliant way to help them do that because not only does it help fill Shelter’s coffers, but it also gets you a perfectly formed snapshot of where UK music is at right now. They should be collectors items in their own right and we definitely think you should grab yourself a copy of edition 2 as well (if you don’t have it already) from Audioscope’s Bandcamp.
Sadly it seems edition 1 is no longer available, but this year there is a bonus edition of the compilation featuring only Oxford based bands. It has 18 exclusive tracks on it by the leading lights of the city’s music scene, bands such as The Scholars and Jess Hall. Grab it here: musicforagoodhome.com for just £4.
Edition 3 is chock full of Louder Than War favourites. Picking out bands is a tricky business, but one that stands out is a rare and now unavailable track from Future Of The Left, who said about the compilation:
“Being able to contribute to a compilation that actually does more than become a forgotten list of songs or a dusty drink coaster in the case of a CD is a wonderful thing, especially when it is in aid of helping the homeless. Shelter and Audioscope working together facilitates an invaluable resource and hub of support for those who are genuinely in need and we, Future Of The Left, are incredibly happy that we are able to help by being a part of this project.”
The album is 31 tracks strong and will cost you a MINUMUM (please consider offering more if you can afford it) donation of £7 to Shelter.
Audioscope co-founder Stuart Fowkes said:
“The response from bands and musicians and their excitement about being part of the record was phenomenal. It’s been remarkable to see that some of our favourite musicians from all over the world have come together to help us create an album that will not only fight homelessness but also present a snapshot of the best alternative music currently out there.”
Buy Music For A Good Home 3 from this link: musicforagoodhome.com.
Full track list below this stream:
- 1. Amon Tobin – Madam Larivee 04:00
- 2. John Parish – That Car 02:25
- 3. Future Of The Left – Home Taping Is Killing Susan 02:18
- 4. Grumbling Fur – Bogwalker 04:40
- 5. Seefeel – Ever Me (demo) 03:19
- 6. Esben and the Witch – Strangers in a Sunless Valley 04:16
- 7. Pye Corner Audio – Tension 05:49
- 8. Dirty Beaches – Diaspora 10:49
- 9. Metz – Leave Me Out 03:34
- 10. The Fauns – 7 Hours (Lost Bass demo mix) 04:42
- 11. Eluvium – Cognition Interlace 05:20
- 12. Tall Firs – Shovel Handle 03:51
- 13. Fixers – I Think This City Needs A Beach (We Need A Wasteland) 03:04
- 14. The Flowers of Hell – Heiligen 01:59
- 15. Belbury Poly – The Glomp 03:27
- 16. Dave Heumann (Arbouretum) – Willi O’Winsbury 06:04
- 17. Barn Owl – Silvertraces 07:19
- 18. Danny Paul Grody – Hidden Valley 04:36
- 19. Thought Forms – Without Son 04:52
- 20. Wolf People – Kitchen 02:35
- 21. Karhide – Give Shelter 04:57
- 22. Salvation Bill – Blackwood 02:58
- 23. Land Observations – Via Cassia 04:12
- 24. Chrome Hoof – When The Lightning Strikes (extended version) 06:37
- 25. Melodien – Rayograph #469 05:30
- 26. Spring Offensive – Synapse To Synapse 03:47
- 27. Walls – Touch and Vision 11:33
- 28. Six By Seven – Breakdown 04:04
- 29. Xiu Xiu – Paper Mario 02:37
- 30. Epic45 – Weathering (Bracken remix) 04:37
- 31. Magik Markers – Detail of Judith with the Head of Holofernes 18:30