Psych rock band Moon Duo, formed by Ripley Johnson of Wooden Shjips and Sanae Yamada, have a new 12″ EP ‘Live in Ravenna’ due to be released via Sacred Bones on August 18th, ahead of a lengthy EU tour & Queen Elizabeth Hall (Southbank) show. They’re also taking part in Reverence Festival in Portugal which celebrates the best in psych, stoner, shoegaze, doom, prog, garage and beyond which this year is headlined by the hugely influential spacerock titans Hawkwind. To celebrate they’ve put together a playlist for us. Check it out below.
Reverence Festival looks incredible – and perfectly timed with the current resurgence of far out, heavy rock-based music and a booming live music network across Europe. The festival offers the chance for like-minded heads from across the world to congregate at one of the biggest and most ambitious events of its kind, one that features a unique line-up of revered titans and rising talent.
Headlined by Hawkwind the festival also features Electric Wizzard, Red Fang, Crippled Black Phoenix, local heroes, Mao Morta, arguably one of the most important Portuguese alternative rock bands on the scene, with a career spanning back to the mid-eighties, Psychic TV, Oxford shoe gazers Swervedriver, The Wytches, White Hills and many more – including Moon Duo. The full list of bands can be found below the mix.
Moon Duo also release Live in Ravenna, due out as a limited, one-time vinyl pressing of 2,000 and digital only, on August 18th on Sacred Bones. It does an incredible job of capturing the emerging sound of Moon Duo as a three-piece.
“Ravenna was memorable for a number of reasons, the most prominent being the really very intense heat, and the setting — Hanabi has an outdoor stage on the beach, the Adriatic Sea only meters away,” Yamada explains.
“The show that night, and the recording of it, sort of encapsulates everything that was happening at the time – the heat wave, the journey, and the shift in the energy and composition of the band.”
The band also have a tour lined up for late August – check out the dates below this mix.
Valada, Portugal // 12th-13th September:
Hawkwind // Electric Wizard // Graveyard // The Black Angels // Mao Morta // Red Fang // Psychic Tv // A Place To Bury Strangers // Crippled Black Phoenix // Ringo Deathstar // Moon Duo // Christian Bland And The Revelators // System 7 // The Wytches // Swervedriver // Woods // Sleepy Sun // Cave // Bardo Pond // Wooden Wand // White Hills // Mug Star // Spindrift // Black Bombaim // Naam //the Asteroid 4 // The Cosmic Dead // The Oscillation // Bombus // Born A Lion // Process Of Guilt // Exit Calm // Asimov // The Feeling Of Love // Bruto & The Cannibals // Miss Lava // Sonic Jesus // Holy Wave // Celestial Bums // White Manna // The Telescopes // Sunflare // Daughters Of The Sun // The Jabberwocky Band // Jiboia // The Quartet Of Woah! // Keep Razors Sharp // Killimanjaro // Dreamweapon // Francois Sky & Guests // 1000 Russos // Murdering Tripping Blues // The Rising Sun Experience // Air Formation // Black Leather // One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour Lab // Dj’s Nuno Callado & Tiago Castro
Two day passes cost €70.00. Daily Tickets cost €38.00.
For more details and to buy tickets go here: Tickets.
Moon Duo’s tour in August – November goes to these places:
MOON DUO TOUR DATES:
- Tue. Aug. 29 – Asheville, NC @ The Mothlight [Transfigurations II]
- Mon. Sep.1 – Hebden Bridge, UK @ Trades Club
- Tue. Sep. 2 – Sheffield, UK @ The Harley
- Wed. Sep. 3 – Aberdeen, UK @ The Tunnel
- Thu. Sep. 4 – Edinburgh, UK @ The Caves
- Fri. Sep. 5 – Vlieland, NL @ Into The Great Wide Open Festival
- Sun. Sep. 7 – Moscow, RU @ Teatr
- Wed. Sep. 10 – Thessaloniki, GR @ Eightball Club
- Thu. Sep. 11 – Athens, GR @ An Club
- Sat. Sep. 13 – Valada, PO @ Reverence Festival
- Mon. Sep. 15 – Tilburg, NL @ Incubate Festival
- Thu. Sep. 18 – Cardiff UK @ Club Ifor Bach
- Fri. Sep. 19 – London UK @ Queen Elizabeth Hall
- Sun. Sep. 21 – Brussels, BL @ AB with Goat
- Mon. Oct. 13 – San Diego, CA @ Belly Up
- Tue. Oct. 14 – Santa Ana, CA @ Observatory *
- Wed. Oct. 15 – Los Angeles, CA @ Mayan Theater *
- Thu. Oct. 16 – San Francisco, CA @ Fillmore *
- Sat. Oct. 18 – Seattle, WA @ Neptune Theatre *
- Sun. Oct. 19 – Vancouver, BC @ The Rickshaw Theatre *
- Mon. Oct. 20 – Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre *
- Wed. Oct. 22 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Bar Deluxe *
- Thu. Oct. 23 – Boulder, CO @ Fox Theater *
- Fri. Oct. 24 – Omaha, NE @ The Waiting Room *
- Sat. Oct. 25 – Minneapolis, MN @ Fine Line *
- Mon. Oct. 27 – Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall *
- Tue. Oct. 28 – Detroit, MI @ Magic Stick *
- Thu. Oct 30 – Toronto, ON @ Opera House *
- Fri. Oct. 31 – Montreal, QC @ Corona Theatre *
- Sat. Nov. 1 – Boston, MA @ Paradise *
- Sun. Nov. 2 – Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer *
- Wed. Nov. 4 – New York, NY @ Stage 48 *
- Thu. Nov. 5 – Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg *
- Fri. Nov. 6 – Washington, DC @ Black Cat *
- Sun. Nov. 8 – Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse *
- Mon. Nov. 10 – Houston, TX @ Fitzgerald’s *
- Tue. Nov. 11 – Dallas, TX @ House of Blues *
- Wed. Nov. 12 – Austin, TX @ Parish *
* with The Horrors