The Stone Roses always operated from behind rumours and guesses.
The band just got on with business whilst everyone else tried to guess what was going on.
So far we have got lots of stuff right from the Heaton Park gigs, the new material and the reformation itself, but there have been some red herrings as well as some new stories that should be treated with a certain distance.
1. The tour dates that we printed as a rumour were infect just that, a rumour and are not happening. That’s the Liverpool Arena and the list of dates, in many ways they looked too conventional for band who made it’s name on the off the wall.
2. On the other hand the rumour that The Vaccines may be one of the support bands at Heaton Park just won’t go away, although The Vaccines themselves contacted us to say they would love to do it but knew nothing. Great band in their own right, The Vaccines have a new single out soon and are on their own tour in the autumn.
3. In our poll there has been a surge of support for the young local bands like Dirty North Deadbeat Echoesand Frazer King and although the gigs have nothing to do with us we would love to see the massive gigs used as an opportunity to showcase the great new young bands coming through in the UK and, like the three aforementioned bands, from Manchester. I’ve seen and heard a lot of great bands in the last year. It’s really happening out there in all genres.
Meanwhile there are all sorts of rumours about who is playing the gig from the Courteeners to reggae to DJs…
4. There is another rumour going round that The Chameleons may get one of the support slots. This is an interesting one, the band’s have a certain shared history. The was a time when they did not sound too different to – guitar effects, powerful, dramatic, anthemic guitar rock – which I often thought was the real sound of Manchester if you stripped away everything else and both band’s had that big in Manchester but cult everywhere else thing going on… it would be good to see the Chameleons get the nod, not sure which line up would turn up though!
5. We received a message that Shane Meadows may not be filming the Stone Roses tour despite filming the press conference. The message said that the band are talking to Manchester documentary director Irshad Ashraf who made the Elbow South Bank Show… rumours and counter rumours, it’s like a rock n roll cold war…