No Wave legend James Chance is about to start a tour of the EU which includes a couple of UK dates, one in London tomorrow and one in Glasgow on Thursday. We encourage you to attend at least one of these shows – for once the description of “legend” herein is not hyperbole.
Most famous for his work as and with James Chance and the Contortions, the saxophonist and vocalist is the very definition of the word seminal in relation to both New York music and the genre No Wave, a scene that is slowly starting to be recognised as being vitally important to the history of music. No Wave was said to grow out of punk, but in reality it grew alongside punk and was notably very different from it in ways too many to list in an article heralding a tour!
Here are the upcoming gigs for James & Les Contortions, UK ones on bold:
- March 10, 2015 Cafe Oto – London (UK) Tickets and more info.
- March 12, 2015 Stereo – Glasgow (UK) Tickets available from Monorail Music, Tickets Scotland, and online.
- March 13, 2015 Instants Chavirés – Paris (France)
- March 14, 2015 Het Boss – Anvers (Belgium)
- March 15, 2015 King Georg – Koln (Germany)
- March 17, 2015 Sonic – Lyon (France)
- March 18, 2015 Bbc Perpinya – Perpignan (France)
- March 20, 2015 – Buffet de la Gare – Marmande, France
We will be reporting back from Glasgow and hope to be interviewing the great man there too.
Here’s James Chance and The Contortions doing I Can’t Stand Myself, a cover of James Brown’s song.