1. Both were run by maverick opinionated bosses who had a lot to say about music. Creation by Alan McGee and Factory by Tony Wilson. Both were capable of starting creative riots.
2. both had films made about them…Creation with the excellent Upside Down, Factory with the amusing 24 Hour Party People.
3. Both had key defining bands of their decades from Creation with Oasis in the nineties and Factory with Joy Division…both band’s from Manchester coincidentally.
4. Both were born out of punk rock, Factory went on an artful route and Creation combined psychedelia and punk.
5. Both labels had lots of smaller bands who made great, overlooked records6.
6. Both labels had great tales to tell of creativity, madness and lunatic lifestyles…
What do you think? Who’s the winner in this titanic struggle of eighties indie cool?