With the winner of this year’s Dead Albatross Award set to be unveiled live, on air, on Wednesday, here’s your last chance to check out the albums on the shortlist via two handy podcasts that Paul Ackroyd, aka Kamikaze, aka the maverick genious behind the awards, has put together.
About a month ago we introduced you to the shortlist for this year’s Dead Albatross Awards. As you’ll know from our coverage the previous year, the prize’s inaugural edition, the Dead Albatross Award is the only viable alternative to the chummy and exclusive (by dint of band’s needing several £1000’s to enter) Mercury Music Prize.
Myself and a couple of my Louder Than War colleagues have been involved in the voting process this year and it’s been much fun trying to decide from the eclectic bunch of records which should be in my final shortlist. I say “fun”, but it’s also, at times, been an exercise in hair pulling out frustration, not least when I got down to my last selection and realised there were four albums that needed to fill that one slot. It literally came down to being a case of giving each of them a number and asking Siri on my iPhone to pick one of the numbers. And I’ve got to be honest – if I were to start again tomorrow Paul would probably be sent a totally different ten albums! Not very professional, maybe, but the deadline was upon me and I wasn’t going to make a decision any other way.
Before you dip into the music a final reminder that this year the Dead Albatross Award is running in association with those fine people at Norman Records, so you can get a discount on all the albums in the shortlist AND all the album’s in last years shortlist! Full details on their website here: normanrecords.com/features/dead-albatross# – and bear in mind you have only two more days to take them up on this offer.
If you want to listen to the countdown live, as it happens, tune into Reel Rebels Radio on Wednesday 29th October between 8-11pm. There you will hear the “funfair bonanza award show” and find out who wins the Albatross crown this year!
If you need a reminder of the shortlist for this years prize, it can be found below these two podcasts by Paul.
- A New Line (Related) – S/T [Home Assembly]
- Astor – Inland [Kye]
- Bong – Stoner Rock [Ritual Productions]
- Dolly Dolly – Antimacassar [Exotic Pylon]
- Ex-Easter Island Head – Mallet Guitars Three [Low Point] Flamingods – Hyperborea [Shape Records]
- Flava D – FlavaD.com Vol.5 [Self Release]
- Good Throb – Fuck Off [Super Fi/White Denim/Sabremetric]
- Ibibio Sound Machine – Ibibio Sound Machine [Soundway]
- Isnaj Dui – Euplexia [Rural Colours]
- Kate Tempest – Everybody Down [Big Dada]
- L.B. Dub Corp – Unknown Origin [Ostgut Ton]
- Matt Elliott – Only Myocardial Infarction Can Break Your Heart [Ici D’ailleurs] Mica Levi – Under The Skin Soundtrack [Milan/Rough Trade]
- Millie & Andrea – Drop The Vowels [Modern Love]
- Prescott – One Did [Slowfoot Records]
- Shifted – Under A Single Banner [Bed Of Nails]
- Shopping – Consumer Complaints [MÏLK]
- Stefan Jaworzyn – Principles Of Inertia [Trensmat]
- Sub Luna City – City Rivims Mk 1 [Self Release]
- The Cosmic Dead – Easterfaust [Paradigms recordings ]
- The Mistys – Redemption Forest [Other ideas]
- The Soundcarriers – Entropicalia [Ghost Box]
- V/A : Classroom Projects – Various Artists [Trunk Records]
- Zed Bias – Boss [Swamp 81]