Event Preview: Bradford Class War Benefit Gig
Class War is Coming to Bradford in April with a Load of Angry Punks and Poets. It’s Gonna be Loud and Dirty. Our own Andy Carrington (full disclosure – he’s on the bill and is one of the organisers) previews the gig.
April 18th, 2015: a day of punk, poetry and even a bit of Hip-Hop to raise money for the political party Class War. More info on the Facebook event page.
Class War: Statement of Intent
There is a class war waging and we are losing it. The rich are getting richer and the gilded elite who have ruled us since Norman times remain in power and dominate land ownership just as they did when they first robbed it. We live in a feudal society dominated by an oligarchy of privately and Oxbridge educated toffs who run not just the government, banks, diplomacy but the media, music. comedy and even the opposition. We see no difference between any of the parties – we oppose Tristram Hunt with the same venom we hate Zac Goldsmith. We don’t want to kick the Tories out to replace them with Labour or any variety of failed Trots. We don’t want to kick them out at all – we want to kick them in!
Started in 1982 CLASS WAR was first a combative, funny, populist anarchist newspaper then it mutated into a similar political organisation. We are proud of our past. But 30 years later the same approaches do not work. Endless photos of overseas riots and balaclaved anarchists bring no movement here. The same old same old is getting us nowhere. Time to think and do the unthinkable, to cross the Rubicon.
We are standing Class War candidates in the general election on May 7th 2015. We are doing this to launch a furious and co-ordinated political offensive against the ruling class with the opportunity an election gives us to talk politics to our class. We in no way see the election as an alternative to direct action. By the brick and the ballot.
We are not talking community politics here. It’s too late for a patient slow-build like the IWCA. The ruling class have us by the throat – they need a short sharp kick in the bollocks. Our election campaign will use any means necessary. We won’t be ushered away by PR minders – we will make ourselves central to the campaign in a funny, rumbustious, combative and imaginative way. We will be on the streets and in their faces.
Class War: Because all other candidates are scum.
More info about Class War here: classwarparty.org.uk.
The Class War benefit gig is being arranged by Andy Carrington and Steve Blackman.
Artists performing on the day include a shit-load of talent from around the UK:
- Piss on Authority – Punk / Anarcho / Hardcore / Metal / Crust … all of the above?! Who gives a fuck? Have a listen and make of it what you will. Facebook.
- Slug – Anarcho punk from London. Slug speaks up for those who need it: animals, the enviroment & people being shit on by governments, capitalism, fascism and the rich. Facebook.
- Andy T – Anarcho punk poet and musician – still hates Thatcher. Facebook.
- Burning Flag – Spewed forth from the blackened mill towns of Northern England, Burning Flag is a venomous twisted sludge of 90s hardcore, industrial riff and scathing punk noise. Website.
- The Krayons – Fast, raw, dirty, Anti-fascist, Ska-infused Street-Punk from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Formed in 2006 as The Crayons and after a 4 year break from 2008 to 2012, emerged as “The Krayons” with a fresh sound and attitude. Facebook.
- Black Light Mutants – DIY collective… Glitched out apocalyptic visiuals, electronic dissident DIY pop hits and punker beeping noises! Facebook.
- Sod’s Law – Punk rock band from Derby/Burton on Trent. Facebook.
- QELD – That classic boom-bap Hip-Hop sound with red and black-heavy lyrics to stimulate your ear drums. Website.
- Andy Carrington – Part witty / part sceptical Anti-Fascist Punk Poet (w/ words tending to offend racist grand-parents & posh twats). Website.
- Laura Taylor – Performance poet. Strident yet curiously engaging. Enjoys upsetting apple carts in her spare time. Website.
- Keiron Higgins – Hard-bitten, poetic, spoken word punk with a tongue of lyrical eccentricity to point out the good and bad things in his life. Website.
- Wayne Stankiewicz – Spoken Word Maestro, Radio DJ, Observer of Human Behaviours. Twitter: @hotcontents86.