Ten Raging Punks (And Other Rockers) Who Crashed the Daytime Talk Show Circuit
|Judge Judy bitches at an unseen punk. Guess who?|
”â¹Punks are the ideal guests for the raunchy world of daytime talk television. They dress outlandishly. They say crazy shit. And they’re totally unapologetic. Furthermore, mosh pits lend themselves very well to quick-cuts when you’re trying to make a point about how insane these people are.
Well, TV execs quickly figured out that punks equal ratings with mainstream first wavers the Sex Pistols. And ever since, there’s been a never-ending stream of safety pins and dyed hair on shows like Springer, Montel Williams, and Judge Judy.
Sex Pistols vs. Bill Grundy (1976)
This is the original punk rock crashing of television. The Sex Pistols were Malcom McLaren’s grand experiment in torturing the British public with its own taboos. And Grundy’s hosting of the band that truly broke punk is top-shelf wankery. The broadcast is responsible for TV’s “watershed” tradition of saving “adult content” for the later hours.
New York Hardcore vs. Phil Donahue (1986)
’80s hardcore was young, tribal, and maybe kinda sorta more than a little dumb. This clip features excellent cameos from NYHC legends like Cro-Mags’ Harley Flanagan and Ray Cappo from Youth of Today.
The Ramones vs. Regis and Kathy (1988)
This otherworldly meeting between OG Bowery brats The Ramones and Regis Philbin and Kathy Lee Gifford is incredibly awkard-slash-goofy. Joey, Johnny, Marky, and Dee Dee look even weirder at 8 a.m.
G.G. Allin vs. Geraldo Rivera (1992)
G.G. Allin was an anti-art, anti-humanity goon. And this excerpt from his appearance on Geraldo is loaded with incredible one-liners from the sickest fuck that ever made a living defecating in public.
Sam McPheeters vs. Montel Williams (1993)
Sam McPheeters — from Born Against, Men’s Recovery Project, Wrangler Brutes, and now Vice Magazine — sneaks in a quick zinger on The Montel Williams Show.
Marilyn Manson vs. Phil Donahue (1995)
This was an early television appearance for Manson, who would go on to develop quite the reputation as an articulate representative of his work.
Johnny Rotten vs. Judge Judy (1997)
John Lydon is in incredible bug-eyed, manic form in this televised broadcast of his suing an ex-drummer.
Gwar vs. Joan Rivers (1997)
Just in case The Ramones hanging out with Regis wasn’t enough, how about Gwar getting down with Joan Rivers?
Justin Pearson (The Locust) vs. Jerry Springer (1999)
We’re starting this Springer clip — which was an excellent prank pulled off by a handful of late 90s screamo kids — right when it gets good.
Teeth Mountain & Narwhalz of Sound vs. Judge Judy (2010)
Much like the last clip, this was another hoax put together by DIY weirdos. Only instead of West Coast screamo, we’re talking East Coast noise rock.
More Links from Around the Web
Most Popular Stories
- An Extremely Detailed Breakdown of Vanilla Ice Ripping a Giant Juggalo Bong
- Identity Festival Miami Canceled Due to Hurricane Irene; Miami Tickets to Be Honored at Tampa UPDATED
- Pitbull Responds to Lindsay Lohan’s Lawsuit in PlanetPit.com Video
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Naked! Plus Five Other Arty Moments Inspired by Pop Stars
- Five Sleaziest Music Videos of All Time (NSFW)
- Metro Zu, O’Grime, and Crossfade Party in a Public Parking Lot (27)
- Identity Festival Miami Cancelled Due to Hurricane Irene (14)
- Summer of Weirds II’s Mind-Shatteringly Crude Show at Churchill’s Pub, August 19 (9)
- Pitbull Sued by Lindsay Lohan for Disparaging Her Name on “Give Me Everything” (10)
- Little Beard, This Heart Electric, Deaf Poets, and GWIP this Sunday Night (42)
- The Free Credit Report Band is Dead; Relive Its Top Five Most Annoying Commercials (135)
- More Most Commented…
- BeyoncÃÂ©’s Baby Bump! Top Five Pop Star Offspring In Honor of Queen B’s Pregnancy
- DJ Jessica Who Dishes On Her Favorite MTV Video Music Awards Moments
- Dear Ricardo Guerrero: Ten Reasons Why Miami Venues Don’t Suck Dick
- Identity Festival Miami Rescheduled For September 30 at Klipsch Amphitheater
- Fashion Freakouts at the MTV Video Music Awards 2011
- More Recent Entries…
Sign up for free stuff, news info & more!
- FÃÂ¡brika Miami
- Fresh Basil Crew
- go LIVE miami
- Gotta Dance Dirty
- Grunge Kat
- Headz the Novel
- Honor Roll Music
- I Heart Miami
- Licorice Pizza
- Livid Records
- Mac’s Deuce Club
- Made in Miami Music
- Miami, bro.
- Miami Dance Party
- Miami Dubstep
- Miami Grime
- Miami Music Matters
- Miami Nights
- Miami Time
- Mood Vane
- Musical Missionary
- Musik is My Hometown
- Off the Radar
- One More Day
- Penned Madness
- Randumb Miami
- REV Miami
- Rhythm Scene
- Roofless Records
- Shot Callin’
- South Florida Classical Review
- South Florida Music Scene
- South Florida Punk
- Soul of Miami
- Squid and the Whale
- Talk Nightlife
- Ten Thousand Islands
- The Guest Lab
- The 305
- The View From Here Now
- Vamos A La Playa
- Wasabi Fashion Kult
- Anthony Verrilli
- Dirty Hairy
- Miami Mayhem
- Nefarious Girl
- UPnUP Daily
- World Red Eye
Local Record Stores
VVM Music Blogs
New York Village Voice
Phoenix New Times
St. Louis RFT
Miami New Times
Minneapolis City Pages
- Broward/Palm Beach New Times
Discover restaurants, nightlife, travel, shopping…
Get 50 to 90% off every day on restaurants, movies, massages…
More than 10,000 of the BEST things to eat, drink, and experience
Join the Village Voice community and get exclusive deals and info
Your local Happy Hour guide at your fingertips
Log in or Sign up
Use your favorite account to access My Voice Nation.
Use your My Voice Nation account to log in:
Sign Up or Log in
Sign up for My Voice Nation with your preferred network.
Sign up for a My Voice Nation account: