1. There is seemingly a trend for abbreviated bands at the moment and SBTRKT or subtract are one of the most cutting edge right now. Soulful, electronic and full of dubstep. His debut self titled album is out now on Young Turks and features collaborations with Sampha and Little Dragon. Not to be sneezed at…
2. I caught Fanzine supporting The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart on tour recently and enjoyed their slacker pop, scuzzy vibe channelling Dinosaur Jr. I also managed to grab one of their fanzine demo’s which has been setting my headphones alight.
3. Its amazing to think that whilst i’m about to write about Vondelpark I haven’t actually played him on the radio. Thats the multi-faceted range of the music industry for ya, where i’ve blogged his videos before, but never clicked onto not having any of his songs, I have rectified this immediately of course with a good google, as can you..
4. With sounds that range from pop to electronic to ambient, Man Without Country are more than your average band originating in Wales. They’ve signed a publishing deal with Warner/Chappell and have previously supported Crystal Stilts and Warpaint, which gives you an idea of their vibe. Their gorgeous King Complex EP is out later this month and its not to be missed.
5. Its rare that I’ve actually met a band before I’ve aired their music, but a unplanned introduction from their buddies Cults put me in this situation with Massachusetts band Dom, all Mickey Mouse sweaters and lo-fi summery vibes…
6. One of my albums of the year so far is without a doubt Stockholm’s I Break Horses ”â Hearts. It’s the type of album I can see myself fussing over on vinyl. Swinging between light and airy dream pop and elements of shoegaze, Maria’s sublime vocals add that extra lilt..
7. Thankfully now the workman drilling outside my bedroom window has buggered off I can enjoy the Talking Heads inspired Theme Park in their finery. If I recollect correctly they’ve been working with Jeremy Warmsley of late.. expect BIG things.
8. This Many Boyfriends’s latest single Young Lovers Go Pop is EVERYWHERE and deservedly so. I, however, have been airing them for over a year having been r enamoured with their track ‘ I should be a communist’ off their Getting A Life With EP which had shades of the Housemartins and The Smiths about it. Having cemented my adoration at Indietracks Festival in 2010, I’m excited to see them going from strength to strength.
9. As a huge Charlatans fan, it’s a very special thing receiving an email from Tim Burgess. What makes it even more special is when it attaches a gorgeous new double A side from the exceptionally talented Joseph Coward. The debut release Jesus Christ/Worry Wart from the brand new Ogenesis Label is one that I recommend you to hear at all costs.
10. You know I just mentioned Jeremy Warmsley? Well his main project is Summer Camp alongside the delightful Elizabeth Sankey. I’ve seen them on a variety of occasions and they never fail to impress me! New single Better Off Without You is their best yet and you can help them release an album by pledging, as I have..