Woodentops Competition – win tickets for upcoming Manchester show
One of the original UK indie bands and beloved of John Peel, The Woodentops returned with their first new studio album for 25 years in February. They’re playing The Ruby Lounge on Saturday 12th April – and we have a pair of tickets to give away for it.
- Back in 1983, The Woodentops coalesced around McGinty, with a small batch of songs and some cheap instruments, attempting to fuse punk’s DIY ethic with the tightness of electronic music (Suicide, Kraftwerk), a little afrobeat and mutant funk.
- The Woodentops sign to The Smiths’ label Rough Trade.
- The band tour with The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen and Everything but the Girl.
- Their debut album Giant all but topped the Indie charts on its release and also graced the UK Top 40. (Aka “the fun 40”).
- DJ’s take The Woodentops music to Ibiza for the burgeoning Balearic scene. They become the first indie / crossover band of the 80s acid house movement.
- The Woodentops’ next studio LP, Wooden Foot Cops On The Highway, again topped the Indie charts on its release in spring 1988.
- They support David Bowie and Prince.
- They take an extended sabbatical.
- In 2006, a reunion tour of France and the UK inspired work on a new album.
- 2014 and The Woodentops release a brand new album, Granular Tales, which gets 9.5 / 10 in Louder Than War.
If you’re unfamiliar with The Woodentops, then Granular Tales could sound like a Best Of collection and this review could well end here.
Granular Tales isn’t just another album by an 80s group wanting another taste of the action, it’s an album from a group that were critically acclaimed but never reached the commercial heights that they should have done. It’s an album that follows the natural progression of one of Britain’s finest acts. It’s an album by a group on the top of their game and one that they can be very proud of.
They have a couple of live dates left on their current tour, one on 5th April at The Loft in Brum and one at Manchester’s Ruby Lounge on 12th April. Tickets can be bought via Ticketline and See Tickets. But before you do that we have a pair of tickets to give away to the latter. To be in with a chance of getting a pair of tickets to the Ruby Lounge show answer this question:
The Woodentops front person, Rolo McGinty, recently wrote a feature in Louder Than War titled “The day The Woodentops met… “. Which reggae and dub superstar was it The Woodentops met?
Answers should be submitted to us via email to: email@example.com. Please put “Woodentops Comp” as the subject line.
Terms and conditions:
- Closing date is noon on 1st April 2014.
- The prize is for one pair of tickets.
- The prize does not include travel or hotel.
- Please make 100% sure you can attend before entering.
- There is no cash alternative to the prizes offered.
- Editor’s decision is final.
- Multiple entries will be disqualified
- Competition is open to all Louder Than War readers.
- Entries from outside the UK are very welcome.