Top 10 ways to leave a stage (fast)
A Few Ways To Leave A Stage”Â¦(in reply to this blog ’10 ways to enter a stage…)
1. Morrissey ”â Liverpool Echo Arena 2010 ”â Moz stepped out onto the stage before a capacity audience and before he had completed the first track, an audience member threw a plastic beaker of water which glanced Morrissey’s brow. The clown in the crowd was nabbed by security and hauled out; however Morrissey beat him to it and left the stage not to return.
2. The Jesus & Mary Chain ”â Nth London Poly March 1985 ”â In their early days the JAMC seemed to attract chaos, this gig turned into a full on fight with maybe 30-40 participants, others hurled bottles at the stage; The Reid brothers retreated, but not before they ensured the tape was running ”â The soundtrack to the ”Ëriot’ was subsequently released as a 7”Â bootleg!!
3. The Pogues ”â Mountford Hall, Liverpool ”â The band played a stormer, McGowan was a drunken arse, and when told by members of the crowd he struck out with a microphone stand before leaving stage left. McGowan was arrested prior to leaving the venue.
4. Aerosmith ”â Sturgis, USA August 2009 ”â Front man Steve Tyler was allegedly so out of it that he was unable to gauge the size of the stage and promptly fell off it!! Tyler suffered minor head and neck injuries and a shoulder injury. The gig was pulled and he was airlifted from the venue to the local hospital.
5. GG Allin ”â Everywhere ”â Allin always threatened to kill himself on stage; possibly as a result of being named Jesus Christ Allin by his religious lunatic father, Allin succumbed to mental illness, despite this he took up the punk call to arms. His gigs were ”Ëevents’ at which he would perform naked, urinate, defecate, smear himself and eat his own faeces ”â He would assault audience members and was regularly arrested on stage. At one New York gig, NYPD were in the audience to prevent him from committing suicide ”â Allin having declared he would shoot himself whilst performing.
6. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool ”â Belgium, August 2010 ”â With the end of a storming set in site front man Charles Haddon took it upon himself to dive into the audience; he landed on a female fan and caused her serious injury. The crowd turned ugly as the gig ended. Haddon fearful of what he had done, walked from the rear of the stage climbed a satellite mast and then jumped to his death!!
7. Metallica ”â BogotÃÂ¡, Columbia ”â March 2010 ”â The first gig in Columbia by the metal legends for 10yrs, 30,000 were present but 6-800 locked out were having none of it. SO determined were they in their efforts to get in that police resorted to using water cannon, tear gas and ultimately tanks to disperse the crowd; not before arresting some 150+. Mettallica played on no doubt enjoying the deep rumble of a tanks engine!!
8. The Beastie Boys ”â Liverpool Royal Court May 1987 ”â Having whipped up a storm, the Boys finally arrived in the UK and met some real bad boys!! After 3 tracks they were pelted with bottles & coins, the crowd in the balcony moved on to chairs and the band retreated ”â The crowd didn’t and began to trash the venue, fight amongst each other ”â Was only suspended when a couple of tear gas canisters were let off!! As a lasting memory Ad-Rock was arrested by Merseyside Police.