New bands 2011
New Bands for June
who has a great new band radio show
1. EMA or Erika M Anderson as she is more widespreadly known, fuses goth, country and grunge in an exceptionally talented manner.ÃÂ On debut album “Past Life Martyred Saints”Â she ranges from haunting to menacing.. not to be missed. (seen her live- she is great- the editor).
2. Portland Duo Tu Fawning have finally put their collaborations on a formal footing having previously worked on each others solo projects. The multi -instrumentalist approach is fresh and dramatic on album “Hearts On Hold”Â
3. The stunning sound of Leeds band Vessels is exceptionally underrated in my view, fans of Radiohead and Wild Beasts won’t go too far wrong with their experimental and edgy sound.
4. Regardless of what the trendies say, It still excites me to hear a great new guitar band, and that can certainly be said about Tape The Radio. Dark and brooding indie with shades of White Lies about it, also the kind of chorus’ that will hit the commercial market with a bang..
5.ÃÂ Foster The People were one of my must see bands at Great Escape this month and It transpires I wasn’t the only one to think that, after we arrived to an already packed venue.ÃÂ My friend had just arrived back from a holiday in LA and informed me that their current single “Pumped Up Kicks”Â was everywhere. A dancey, soulie WIN.
6. Echo Lake have been hyped about in the radar section of NME several times already, and whilst their sound is a bit left of the mainstream, this shoegaze fan very much enjoys their ethereal and spacious sound..
7. Born out of the ashes of Manchester based band Polytechnic Driver Drive Faster are a band that have been quietly plying their trade whilst working on forthcoming album “Open House”Â which is due for release this month on Akoustik Anarchy records. An absolute must hear.
8. Electro vibes seem to have no intention of retreating anytime soon and if Is Tropical have anything to do with it, they’ll stay de rigeur for good.ÃÂ This London trio offer sounds that will put you in an on trend dancefloor daze..
9 . I managed to catch Bleeding Knees Club last week when they played a Now Wave all dayer and thoroughly enjoyed their punk rock explosiveness.ÃÂ Like the lovechild of the The Ramones and The Smith Westerns in a Mazes shadow. Brills.
10. For a NYC radio station to turn label for a band from Nottingham, there has to be something BIG about the band in question.ÃÂ From what I’ve heard from Swimming they have that big sound as well as a wave of innovative and inspired numbers. I Cannot personally wait to see them move up to the next level.