New bands – Effluence
New band! Effluence
I’ve mentioned these before and I will mention them again.
Effluence are yet more proof of the mass of great young bands in the UK and a youthful collision between Muse and Nirvana but have taken their influences and run with them.
The trio, who are from central Lancs, have that magical thing about them, they give me the same sort of rush as seeing Nirvana play to ten people at maxwells in New York City before anywhere cared about them. they have the intensity and they have that well drilled brilliance about them.
They are very much of these times and when they hit the stage in the middle of a battle of the bands competition you can feel the rush of energy. The woosh of a great young band and you just KNOW. You KNOW that this is really happening.
I will list everything great about them to make it simple for you.
1. The songs are clever- they understand dynamics- loud bits, quiet bits, bits where the bass takes over, bits where the guitar is transcendental noise, bits were the intensity of the vocals hits home and bits where there are great tunes.
2. they can really play- the drummer is powerful, the bassist has a great sound and every bass run has a meaning and a top tune and the guitar is perfect.
3. They look great- the singer is the flailing puppet in the maelstrom of sound, the rhythm section solid and dangerous.
4. Their songs have tunes- they are anthems.
5. They have that intensity of a small town band- that sense of reacting against the suffocation- every small town youth in the world will feel that- and there’s a lot of them.
6. they don’t even know how good they are- modest and unassuming they walk on stage and become possessed- like all the great bands.
7. They sound like a band of now- they transcend the past and are pushing rock into the future by just being instinctive.
8. Their songs are really intelligent- they are complex but never prog, they deconstruct the conventional but still make it accessible.
9. They have loads of wild energy- they can’t help it, the electricity makes them twitch!
10. They are going to be massive.