Mo’Wax legend James Lavelle curates Leeds exhibition
Cultural pioneer James Lavelle of UNKLE and Mo’ Wax will be curating a special exhibition of his work at Leeds Dock from June 24th – 25th.
Daydreaming with UNKLE presents… The Road: Leeds Dock is a multi-sensory exhibition inspired by James Lavelle’s desire to marry music and the visual arts. He aims to subvert regular museum exhibitions or music festivals.
There’s no doubting Lavelle’s influence over the last 25 years on art, music, graphic design, film, fashion and media. As well as looking back, it is also a chance to put UNKLE’s forthcoming fifth studio album: The Road: Part I into its proper context.
The exhibition is a big win for Leeds Dock, and is part of the Water Front Festival which, oddly enough, will also host The British Street Food Awards and the Radio Aire Dragon Boat Race at the same time.
“UNKLE has always been a multi-sensory creative project, ranging from genre-defining music to cutting-edge visual art. It therefore feels incredibly fitting to celebrate UNKLE’s past, present and future in Leeds, with an immersive show at the cultural hub of Leeds dock,” says James Lavelle.
“The exhibition is a collaboration between a number of very talented artists, presenting everything from paintings, videos, artefacts and film screenings. I look forward to welcoming visitors to daydream with us.”
Saturday – Sunday 24th – 25th June 2017
Dock Works at Leeds Dock – 10am – 18:00.
Sunday 25th June 2017
· In conversation with James Lavelle, a live Q&A on his work and cultural milestones. 4pm – 5pm at the exhibition space, Dock Works. FREE
· James Lavelle DJ set- Waterfront Festival Stage at Leeds dock – 5:30pm – 7pm
The exhibition will feature:
· Classic pieces from the Mo’ Wax and UNKLE archives: Music releases, art, fashion and toy collaborations.
· Ground-breaking UNKLE music videos from the likes of Spike Jonze and Jonathan Glazer.
· A new Virtual Reality installation captured from ‘Daydreaming With…Stanley Kubrick’
· A unique opportunity to ‘step inside’ Doug Foster’s mesmerising new installation to experience art at its most immersive and witness four tracks from ‘The Road: Part 1
· A pop-up store featuring UNKLE artefacts, merchandise, records and toys.
· An exclusive opportunity to experience songs and videos from the forthcoming UNKLE album.
Artists in the show:
3D from Massive Attack
Warren Du Preez and Nick Thornton Jones
Ty Evans and Spike Jonzeathan Coley
All words by Paul Clarke. You can find more of Paul’s writing on Louder Than War at his author’s archive.